The Magical Edge of Life

Saturday, March 12, 2016


"I want to stand as close to the edge as a I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you cant see from the center."
                                                                 - Kurt Vonnegut 

In yoga there is something referred to as, "the edge," which is that place in a posture where you feel intensity and are the most challenged but not to the point of experiencing pain or causing injury. 

When you find this place in between ease and pain you will find peace in your practice and stay in the present moment continually moving through the process of improving without any expectations. 

I like to apply this concept to everyday life. Finding "your edge" in life is like stepping outside of your comfort zone just enough to feel challenged but not so much that you are paralyzed by fear. 

There is one thing I know for sure about stepping outside of comfort zones, IT'S SCARY! and there is always the possibility of failure, actually the guarantee of failure....let's just get that out of the way real quick. If you are living your life on your own personal edge you SHOULD be failing. Failure is not a bad thing, it means you are growing and learning. It means that your edge is expanding and there will be that day, that moment when all of your hard work will pay off and you will reach that goal you have been working toward and then you will make another goal, and another, and another until living in the outside of your comfort zone becomes an addiction. You will become this person who embraces their authenticity and unique talents, who lives a fulfilling life for yourself and inspires those around you to do the same.

Now, when I say find your edge I don't mean be reckless with your life or your loved ones, I mean, find that place where you are inspired to take action but not so far that you put yourself in any kind of danger. You don't need to leap headfirst into anything (that can actually be really counter productive), just take each day at a time, one step at a time, closer to your desired path in life. You are capable of so much more than you know! 

Your edge is where YOU feel intensity and excitement and a tad bit of fear, where you are working toward being in a place that feels best to you and creating the life you want. We each have distinct personalities, talents and desires so your edge will be unlike anyone else's and that is an amazing thing. You have infinite potential!!! 

I have definitely wanted to quit and stay tucked safely away inside of my comfort zone cocoon and there are many times that I have, but when I take a step and use my fear as something to help build my own life, instead of just reacting to things that are happening to me, I am so surprised by what I can accomplish. For example, becoming a yoga teacher is one of the scariest things I have ever done. Every time I step into the classroom I am taking one step closer to my edge but each time it gets a little bit easier and I enjoy it and I learn from it and other people learn from it! Craziness!!! That is how I know that I am on my edge and I am headed in the direction to that place where magic happens. 

When it comes to determining where you want to go with your journey and your edge try not to have a certain set expectation about the way life events will happen because chances are, they won't happen that way.  Like yoga, life is ever-evolving and there is no "life to-do list" and no perfect point in which we are complete or have finished what we need to. We are continually moving through a process of achievement and trial and error, finding what works for us and what doesn't. Life is crazy and things happen unexpectedly. Be open to different outcomes and different possibilities, some of which, happen for the better. 

This is one of the tools I like to use when determining my own edge.

Try taking a 3-5 minutes everyday to sit in a comfortable position in uninterrupted silence, just focusing on your breathing and grounding yourself in the present moment. If your thoughts wander to all the stressful things you have going on in your life that is okay, Acknowledge that those things are happening and that they are important but then let them go..at least for 5 minutes.  

Afterwards take a moment to think about this day or this coming week. How do you define your edge? What circumstances may arise that will give you the opportunity to take a step closer to your edge? Write them down and refer back to them throughout your day or week. 

Enjoy the unknown, face your fears, increase your strength and find your clear purpose in life. :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe